Thursday, 12 June 2014

On having goals, chasing and failing them…

I am a goal oriented person. That’s how I tick. I set a goal, write it down and chase it. Manly hun? Without a good list I am lost. I have lists of everything.. job goals, family goals, life goals, sport goals, you name it… I have short term goals and long term ones. Pretty crazy if you ask me… but that’s how I roll.

A marathon has being a goal since last year, when I got injured and realised I was not only not ready but also training wrong. It was very hard to juggle my normal life with work, climbing ambitions and still run a marathon… You can only just put enough food on a place right?

It is very easy to train hard, a lot, kill yourself and still reach nowhere. I know that by experience. I have being climbing for good 5 years now (I assume 2009 is the year when I really decided to focus), and running for almost 2 and I am still a shit climber and won’t even mention how mediocre runner I am…

Having realised I spend a good amount of my life training it made sense to get a couch to check my training. Enters Rob… and as I guessed.. I was not only over training, but doing it wrong.

Why a couch and not a PT? Well, coz I do not lack motivation. I don’t need someone on my side to motivate me to wake up at 6am in the morning and go to the gym. What I need is someone with enough authority and knowledge to see my silly schedule and point me out to the right directions.

This year I decided to do or die and booked myself into Southdowns marathon, 21th of July. After 2 weeks of following Rob’s plan I realised I am in not good shape for that… Yeah, thousands of people run marathons. I don’t care. You only realise HOW MUCH PAIN it is freaking is, when you go for a long run. And honestly, for me is about the pursuit. It’s all about style. I do not want to only finish, I want to run the whole freaking length and feel “good” by the end… well.. as good as possible hehe.

I do not hire guides, I don’t want anything to do with freaking sherpas or oxygen, so why would I freaking walk a marathon? C’mon dude.. get real. Sometimes though you do need a bit of a reality check and see how far your ambitions are in relation to your physical possibilities and for this 21th, I would say it is quite a bit away… Yesterday the letter from the marathon arrived and made me feel depressed. Failed goal. Another failed goal…
Well… it's all about empiricism right? Learn from it, regroup, rethink, start again! August 10th, I will be at the Salisbury marathon, and there is no going back.

2014
Run a marathon
Cycling challenge
Climb 6c+, E1/E2

Breath in. Breath out. Focus. Good pain.

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”
-- Calvin Coolidge

No comments:

Post a Comment